Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wheels Part II

As the first part of this series covered vehicles for a utility usage, this series will cover my favourites in the fun class. To be qualify for this, like the other the vehicles I feel there should be an air of class about them, they should have a lasting appeal without being showy and for my list they have to be something that you can own for less than the cost of a house.


To start off this list I will begin with the car that first drew me into to this entire niche of cars all of which just so happen to be convertible 2 seaters (the impracticality ensure their key usage is for fun).


The Triumph TR-6
As a preteen I remember seeing TR-6s and not being so fond of them, the wedge nosed TR-7 was what really excited me, as I matured however I began to lose interest in the cheesy wedge shape and was drawn to the classic looks of the TR-6 instead.


This car has a classic style and is probably one of the most high performance models of the lot. The brand, for me leaves something to be desired, it is also probably the most successful and easily identifiable brands of the cars on this list, which probably partially contributed to my slight dislike of the brand itself. The newer models I find are more easily associated with my parents generation, who all seem to be wrapped up in status symbols and having the newest and best of everything.


The Mercedes SL


The next 'fun' car I will mention is one that because of the later models I was very disinterested in but with some further examination, I discovered the earlier models had a more appealing style.


The MG MGB
The Pre 1974 models lacked the metal reinforced plastic bumpers that turned me off of the later models which too me made the car look tacky and cheap.


The next model is also an MG, however it came before the MGB and personally I don't find it as appealing but with it's appearance in the classic Animal House, I could not exclude from this list.


The MG MGA
Driven by Greg Marmalard to take the ladies to the look off, the MGA comes off as distinctly more British than the MGB but for my tastes, the attempt to balance the swooping classic lines with the sportiness of the roadster.


The next car starred played a strong role in a favourite movie of mine, where I first saw it, somewhat like the MGA. However in this case, this particular model pulls of the look that seems to be attempted with the MGA but far more successfully.


The Jaguar XK 120/140/150


In the movie Cruel Intentions, the cocky teenage main character drives a Jaguar XK 140 which oozes more style that a Lamborghini or Ferrari only wishes they could pull off. It is a key factor of the film and part of the bet which unfolds over the film. It is also one of my favourite parts of the film and I feel there are few roadsters out there that can match the style of the XK.


The last car I will cover, while not as attractive as the XK has other merits.  After talking to a few family friends who had owned some of the cars on the list at one point or another and one fellow in particular who had owned 4 of the models on the list in the past, he said out of the bunch, this model stood on another level for build quality, performance, reliability and ease of maintenance (he also did and continues to do all of the work on his 'fun' cars).


The Austin Healy 3000
To me it also has a look very similar to both the MG's and the TR-6, yet it pulls it off better and with a sportier finished look, whilst still retaining all the class a British sports car should have and in the end isn't that what it's all about?


The most important part of all of these vehicles is not tied up in individual traits of the cars but that in their whole, I feel they would go well to match my own personality and my style of dress, can't you just picture yourself stepping out of any of these cars in boat shoes, GTH chinos, Oxford cloth button down and a navy blazer? Because I sure can, however try picturing yourself in the same style stepping out of a shiny Cadillac Escalade, does it mesh as nicely, how about a brand new Corvette? For me there a certain things that speak to me and I could easily associate myself with them and others that although I could get by with and probably even impress plenty of people with another vehicle, it just wouldn't have the same comfort.


Now you may be asking yourself, what does he drive? I have some pretty strong opinions and preferences about, well just about everything. However at the same time I, like most am still working my way towards contentment. I currently drive an american made SUV there is nothing classy about it, but it can pull a boat trailer, a bunch of friends and our skis or bicycles or any other assortment of things I may wish to shove in there. I have had my eye on several of the vehicles on the list but as a current University student it is hard to accept the risks of owning a classic vehicle and the impracticalities or even switching vehicles whilst I attempt to divide my focus between my studies, sports, drinks and girls. However I will quickly admit, that although it is far more practical and reliable than most if not all of the vehicles on the list, it lacks the class.


But really this blog isn't about the idea that I have already arrived there, it's about the journey.

2 comments:

  1. Good Day,
    All exceptional automobiles. I like your style and esoteric mannerisms.
    Cordially,
    Raulston
    (New Follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eye for appeal of these cars echos my own. Sadly any English car of the period involves the British version of Edison (electric): Lucas - aka "the Prince of Darkness" - and the poor safety standards of the past on even a well cared for auto.

    ReplyDelete